discipline as a spiritual practice

MoonSun
hey! i was curious if anyone had any thoughts about discipline. there was a really great community meeting a couple months ago where I think Has touched on it...

In the past for me, discipline was such a masculine driven energy... It was really cool to hear and see it being used from a place of the divine feminine.

Any thoughts and experiences thinking about Discipline but from the perspective of feminine energy?

Thanks and love

Re: discipline as a spiritual practice

Chelsea
I see my devotional practice as a practice of discipline as well as any fasting/meditating. I associate it with surrendering to God (more of a feminine energy.) This practice of discipline has helped me in so many other areas in my life like school and work.

Hope this helps. Blessings to you.

Re: discipline as a spiritual practice

hanna
This has been coming up a lot for me as I've also been working on this. I was in a circle a few days ago and our topic was just this - discipline as a practice, with the same dilemma you stated. What I took away from it was that through the eyes of God, almost any word can be seen in the most positive manner. So when it comes to knowing God, discipline can simply be seen as devotion in action. Where else would discipline be most fun and fulfilling, if it's not in relation to God?

Another gem i loved was "Discipline will set you free!"

I realized that in the past i relied on my discipline to get me where i wanted to go. Then after getting in the career i wanted (and seeing that it wasn't what i truly wanted), I got into spirituality and for some reason never thought much about discipline in my practice. Until now. I think the discipline will set you free statement woke me up - it reminded me of the book the Power of the Subconscious Minds teachings, which i highly recommend for anyone who hasn't read it.

I don't know if I specifically see one being more masculine or feminine, but i know that the drive I had for my career was old paradigm discipline, and the drive i have to know god is a more heart centered discipline,  what i now see as devotion.

Hope that's helpful :)

Re: discipline as a spiritual practice

MoonSun
I love this thread so much! Thank you for sharing!

Re: discipline as a spiritual practice

MoonSun
Any other thoughts on discipline as a feminine energy and quality?

Thinking of discipline as holding more of a devotional quality has helped me reclaim it with feminine energy

Re: discipline as a spiritual practice

MoonSun
Just randomly heard in an interview

"The word Disciple and the word Discipline come from the same word"

:)

Re: discipline as a spiritual practice

Hoda Essa
I love this question! The idea of discipline being a masculine quality was a belief I had too until recently. The concept and active practice of discipline has added a quality of integrity to the work I produce. Think of the gestation period a fetus experiences in the womb, that incubation though understood as a delicate time can also be an excellent example of how discipline is actually a focused, steady component to the creative/creation process. Though we don’t see the active delvelopment of the fetus, we know that the development of the child in the womb is happening more incrementally instead of all at once. For me, discipline is an integral step in cultivating the energy necessary to carry anything out. Another example that comes to mind is if I want to write something (as a writer) a lot of my process is in setting the atmosphere for whatever I hope to create. My creative discipline is less about working hard but by imbuding the energy in my space with a focused intent. And letting my work flow from there. Discipline is the framework where this delicate process can thrive!

Re: discipline as a spiritual practice

MoonSun
"For me, discipline is an integral step in cultivating the energy necessary to carry anything out. Another example that comes to mind is if I want to write something (as a writer) a lot of my process is in setting the atmosphere for whatever I hope to create. My creative discipline is less about working hard but by imbuding the energy in my space with a focused intent. And letting my work flow from there. Discipline is the framework where this delicate process can thrive!"

I love that!! Thank you, Hoda <3