fun social media exercise

MoonSun
Like, this is a lesson I know, but WOW it hit me so hard recently! I think it's so easy to create elaborate stories about people in our lives, but especially on social media as we're so connected, but so distant.

I love Ariana Grande and definitely created my own story about what an amazing artist and channeler she is and how she's in touch with the universe and writing God is a woman. I brought it up to my friend who's also super spiritual, expecting her to see the same thing, and she relayed a TOTALLY different and yet valid opinion. But they were so opposite, and suddenly it was so clear in my minds eye in a way its never been before, that even the story I was telling about my friend as she was speaking to me wasn't about my friend--it was about me, every person I looked at or thought of suddenly had a mirror physically imposed upon them in my minds eye! It was crazy!

And I really started to think about it on social media, or even on this message board, the stories we tell ourselves about people, even good ones, are stories. They're just reflections of us.

So yesterday I wrote down all the stories I tell myself about people on social media, starting with Ariana Grande 💗 and going to friends and family members--and people I sometimes feel jealous of or think have it all, only using pronouns—no names. And then I rewrote all the stories replacing the pronouns with my name. Like... wow, it was so powerful for me. "I am an amazing artist." "I am a channeler." "I am in touch with the universe."

It was really powerful for me. I thought I'd share!

Re: fun social media exercise

Shavonne
I really love this! Thanks for sharing :)

Someone shared this quote with me: "if you spot it, you got it" and it's always a reminder that what we admire in others is what we also admire or wish to uncover in ourselves

Re: fun social media exercise

Tameka
awesome! thank you for this offering <3

Re: fun social media exercise

Irene
This is fire. And I love "if you spot it you got it!" Writing that down. I try to remind myself of this too -- that everything you "hate" in others is a reflection of your shadow -- and in the same way, everything you admire is simply everything you are ready to become. I have worked on and become comfortable with processing jealousy, but currently trying to let go of the admiration behavior and instead trying to see others as my equal. What a wonderful exercise, thanks for sharing :)

Re: fun social media exercise

Dhiyanah
I love this! Thank you so much for sharing, this sounds like a fun & self-loving journaling exercise. Looking forward to trying this out 😆
<3
@byDhiyanah

Re: fun social media exercise

Nneka
This is amazing, I read this with “thank you, next” stuck in my head 😆.  Thank you so much for sharing. I’m definitely trying this out this weekend.

Re: fun social media exercise

Tenika
Very insightful thanks for sharing will try this over the weekend 🙏