Metal for sensitive skin (jewelry/adornment)

Metal for sensitive skin (jewelry/adornment)

Becky
I had to stop wearing metal jewelry...probably 18 months or so ago, because the metal was just irritating the heck out of my skin. It began with my ears (pierced), but continued to necklaces, rings, etc. Just the metal felt heavy/wrong or caused actual dermis irritation.

I have gotten into wearing bracelets a lot instead, and got some leather to make necklaces with my favorite pendants, but I really miss wearing earrings. I've never worn big earrings, but I love very small dangles. Does anyone have any actual, practical experience/knowledge about what would be best to try? Pure gold, pure silver, rose gold, etc.?

I'm hoping maybe some of you make jewelry and have an etsy shop, or know of an online maker/store you'd recommend.

Thanks!
Becky

Re: Metal for sensitive skin (jewelry/adornment)

Sarah
Hi Becky! Weirdly, I have this problem, too. Since I was a teenager, certain metals irritate my skin. For me, gold of any kind is the best bet. It has to be solid gold and not plated - somehow if there’s another metal under there my body knows it and isn’t having it! I still can’t wear jewelry for very long, but I can put in a pair of gold earrings long enough to go out to dinner or whatever.

I don’t know what will work best for you personally, but I wanted you to know you’re not alone ;)

Re: Metal for sensitive skin (jewelry/adornment)

Emryss
Hello Becky,

My mom has this issue with jewelry to she can only wear pure gold and surgical steel earrings. She found some nice surgical steel stud earrings on Overstock.com, maybe they have dangly ones as well incase you prefer a bigger earring.

Okay, thanks.

Re: Metal for sensitive skin (jewelry/adornment)

Becky
I will look for surgical steel. Thanks.