Holding yourself accountable.

Imani
Hello Beautiful ones!

I would like to start attending things (events, social groups, retreats etc.) where I can meet friends, possible mentors or guides that are aligned in the same interest of wellness, self-care, spiritual growth and enlightenment. As someone that lives on the east coast I've noticed that most wellness and self-care groups are located on the west coast. Not many options are available for people on the east coast unless you live in NY (I live in DC, not far but still a four hour drive to NY). Would you all happen to have any idea of how to inquire a mentor (who can be virtual), accountability partner or guides? Or even a support group off line?

With the most recent changes in my life I've noticed that I have become to go-to person for people around me, but I in return have no one to go to myself. Although I have mastered the boundary of not letting people dump their feelings, emotions or projections on me without an appointment. As well as how to clear their energy once finished.  I would like new people in my circle that I can bounce ideas off, get advice from and vice versa. Any ideas?

Re: Holding yourself accountable.

Sarah
Imani - I used to live in DC! One of my favorite cities.

I think Tara Brach is based on DC and holds live community events...hang on...

Yes!!  https://imcw.org/Calendar/Wednesdays-with-Tara Weekly Vipassana méditations and dharma talks in Bethesda.

I don’t know if Buddhism is part of your path at all, but this group could be a good place to meet other people focused on self-evolution and awakening.

Maybe a starting place, if nothing else?

Re: Holding yourself accountable.

Jennifer
Hi—I live in Baltimore, there are meet ups and lots of other activities going on. I suggest you head to your closest Whole Foods and pick up a copy of Pathways Magazine it’s a large oversized newspaper periodical full of resources and events in the area

Re: Holding yourself accountable.

imani
Hey Sarah,

Thank you! I will check her out and add her to my list. At this time I'm open to anything.

Re: Holding yourself accountable.

imani
Jennifer, Thank you. I live about 50mins-1hr away from Baltimore, but I will head over the Whole Foods on my grocery run at the end of the month to pick up this magazine.

Re: Holding yourself accountable.

Heather
Hi Imani! I live in DC too. I have explored some sitting groups that are associated with IMCW.  I have found some that are welcoming, and some are more dominated by older white male voices. I recently shared a lovely qigong practice with a small group at the IMCW's Center for Mindful Living and have gone to some community sits at the Lamont Dharma House. I welcome the opportunity to learn more about what practices and groups may be available in our area.