Fasting Tips

Marissa
Hi New Earth Friends,

I want to ask if anyone has any fasting tips or recommendations? I've been feeling like my body/mind needs a detox and want to fast for a couple of days. I've heard of fruit-based fasts which I'm into trying. Let me know any resources you may have!

Re: Fasting Tips

Danielle
Intermittent fasting is a really great transitory way to learn fasting.  A simple 8 hour eating window, like 10-6 or 8-4, trains your brain in a very simple way to not expect food whenever.  When you get comfortable with that, try a 6 hour eating window. Then progress to longer fasts.  I always have tea with honey and a lot of water. Dilute ACV is also supportive for me.  Listen to your body and make sure your fasting days are quiet, self care days.

Re: Fasting Tips

Marissa
Thank you!

Re: Fasting Tips

Binta
I recently completed my first long fast and it was so needed and definitely helped me get clear on some things. I'm really excited to see how this process is for you!

I think juice and smoothies are a great way to transition into a fast. I started by doing only fruits and veggies for a few days, then cut it down to mostly fruit, and then transitions into just water. The most important thing as was stated is to be kind to yourself during the process and listen to your body.

Re: Fasting Tips

Kyle
Reviving this thread!

I'm on day 10/ final day of a water/ginger tea fast. If I could offer any tips to anyone, it would be to use those difficult moments as opportunities to bring your awareness back to your thought patterns.

That was the thing I noticed the most. The times when it got really hard, my thought patterns would be filled with complaints. I would be telling myself how hungry or tired I am over and over or making excuses on why I should quit. Replace those thoughts with positive affirmations. Tell yourself you can do it. You can push through. Remind yourself how proud you are for making it as far as you did. That really helped, especially while I was at work because my job requires me to be active and there were many times where I felt like quitting.

You will be surprised just how much farther the body can go.

Also, it really helped to give myself something to look forward to every day, whether it be my barbershop appointment or a new episode of my favorite podcast dropping. Just the small things to give me motivation to keep going and to remind me of the progress.

Hopefully this helps anyone in the future.

Peace.

Re: Fasting Tips

Becky
Thanks, this is super helpful. I'm fasting once a week in December and the first day was challenging in a lot of ways!